More than 50 years ago, we developed a new set of safety standards to mark the quality and gentleness of our JOHNSON'S® Baby mild-cleansing soap-free Shampoo.
Moms both then and now could trust this wouldn't sting their baby's eyes. Ever since, JOHNSON'S® Baby NO MORE TEARS® has meant products that are pure, mild and gentle to use for your baby's delicate skin. This has allowed generations of moms, dads and babies to relax and bond, whilst delighting in more bathtime fun.
Ours are the only baby care products that carry the valuable NO MORE TEARS® mark, so we'd like to share with you some of the science, research and testing that goes into making them. Along the way, we hope you'll learn something new about us and a little something else about a certain special someone.
4 Stages of NO MORE TEARS® Testing
- Ingredient and formulation review. Every single one of our ingredients and the combined formulation are all rigorously evaluated for safety.
- Pre-clinical safety evaluation. Our safety groups comprehensively examine these products in the laboratory to ensure safety.
- Clinical testing. Human ocular studies are performed by a board-certified ophthalmologist.
- Medical review. We conduct a thorough review of all data to ensure eye safety.
Things we know about baby's eyes
- Babies don't blink very much. Whilst adults blink every 3-5 seconds, in their first year it is not unusual for babies to keep their eyes open for one whole minute.
- Babies' tear reflex is delayed until six weeks or more of life and continues to develop up to 5-7 months of life.
- Eyes are the last of the sensory organs to fully develop after birth.
Leaders in our field
We have tested competitive baby cleansing products using the same criteria as all of the JOHNSON'S® Baby NO MORE TEARS® products.
Most of these leading competitive products did not meet our NO MORE TEARS® criteria, therefore they didn't reach the JOHNSON'S® Baby eye mildness standard.
It just goes to show that NO MORE TEARS® is much more than just words on a bottle.
Science is a work-in-progress, no one can know it all. With each day comes the opportunity to learn something new and our scientists are always on the lookout for ways to improve and develop the safety of our products. If there's something new to learn, our scientists will find it and you and your baby will benefit.